Tuesday, October 02, 2018

Youth giving jelly! Chyawanprash

It is the typical tale of ignoring what is in your own backyard. So, since I can remember I know of chyawanprash. I also know other types of jelly -- but having something like that shoved into your mouth while recovering from some sickness puts you off such things as a child.
Now, with foresight born of five decades  of life on this planet, and with the desperation that comes from that I have suddenly, and fortuitously, rediscovered this powerpacked jelly.
I have been having it for a month now, twice daily. And find that it does do something to old aches. Whether that is part of its design, I do not know. But it has helped my old knee injury so much so that I have restarted jogging and skipping, which I set aside every time my old injury starts acting up.
All of us have these ups and downs with our body. But the ups have been more, and the downs less, with this chyawanprash.

So, I tried to research a bit about this. And my favorite ayurvedic doctor on this, Dr David Frawley, apart from discussing the ingredients, gives it the metaphysical spin that really appeals to me.

He says that it promotes love, longevity and good fortune. It is regarded as the long-living tree. And that is is used to treat mental disorders (Book reference: The Yoga of Herbs). He is using all my favorite words. Appealing to all that appeals to me. I love the idea of the chyawanprash being a tree. And a long-living one, is magical. And if having this jelly gets me good fortune, who am I to sniff at that?

The base, he explains, is Amla, raw sugar, and ghee (another traditional ingredient that has enjoyed a happy comeback). And then each of the ayurvedic school, possibly depending on the region they are from, have different formulations. Every time at look at a label (and till now have tried two brands, one ordered from Kerala online) they have a long list that appears to go on and on. It makes me feel good, because like most of us I rather talk of health than do much about it. So to think that just a few teaspoonfuls is getting my quota of health for the day is a very special feeling. On the day I forget I fret a bit, but it is a good sign.
I mean, it is about self-engagement when we take the trouble care for  ourselves. The more I read of health, thanks to my being a yoga instructor, I keep learning that  self-engagement is the only way to ensure you do not go downhill. If you let go, it is going to create the grounds for mental and physical decline.
Having watched my grandmother suffer so much towards her end, with decline in physical and mental faculties and the way my mother had to struggle in taking care of her with no help whatsoever, has made me determined  to focus on health. Health  above all the other things that seem  to attract the rest of the world.  My grandmother did not know much of what she suffered, but the ignominy of losing your faculties, that left a deep mark on my mind.  As a kid I have seen so many deaths -- and many of them long-suffering where the burden of most of the care-taking fell on my mom, that has left a deep mark. I see others around me glibly ignoring health as if they feel it is a given -- it bothers me because it is a lie. Health has to be worked upon. It is like an investment. You cannot expect a lottery. And other people's savings will not help you. You are alone -- when you are unwell. Even the ability to bear pain, that comes from strength of the mind. If things must go downhill, at least we must walk to our grave and not flail our way into it.

So here is this nice story that is associated with this jelly:

Apparently a young princess married an aging rishi, Chyawana. His youth is restored by the Ashwin twins, through the use of rejuvenating herbs all of which find themselves in this jelly. And that, sort of sums up why this is regarded as an essential part of kayakalpa-- youth giving practices of ayurveda.


So, whenever I pop the gooey jelly in my mouth, I have this story running through. Its a powerful affirmation, not even consciously attempted.




No comments: