Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Walking on cobblestones can keep you fit?

I had a serendipitous moment. I was reading a book on the Japanese route to happiness (Ikigai) hat the Oregon Research  Institute study -- provoked by some western scientists watching the Chinese do this ritually at their parks -- confirmed that walking on cobblestone, barefoot, had tremendous health benefits.
and stumbled on this intriguing information:
The study was done with about a 54-strong control group, of people  over 60s and into their 90s, done over 16 weeks, thrice weekly, for an hour.
This exercise proved terrific benefits, over conventional walking.
* Better physical function
* Improved blood pressure, circulatory benefits
* Mental and physical well-being.

Traditionally, the Chinese did this because in acupressure therapies, the sole of the foot has the body map of the entire body. And walking on the uneven, but soothing pebbles, impacted them, activating points that gave improved overall health, better sleep, and pain relief.

So I googled for cobblestone mats, and was astonished to find that these are indeed available, even locally. Though at a price that is a bit out of range for me. Maybe in a few years time and when I really need it, I will buy one on EMI!
But I do my workouts -- including my kickboxing bare foot (with the danger of an occasional rusty nail or broken glass lying about on the terrace where I work out). I find I am able to grip the ground better that way. I also have wobble boards and balance boards (that I hardly use but am now tempted after reading this study:)

Any case, I ordered a synthetic cobblestone mat -- and will get it by month-end. Will post further on that, and how it feels soon.


No comments: