Thursday, January 13, 2011

My student Jit, executing this fantastic salabhasana


This is Jit Ray, executing the fantastically high locust. He has just started yoga, a few months ago, and already doing a steady though short headstand, does the titali (leg-locked) headstand variation, walks in the wheel, lifts hands and legs in the wheel, does bhumisirsapadasparshasana (the earth touching head-toe pose) and a very strong crow and is moving into exciting variations of the crow/arm balancers. He is very flexible, and only has an issue with the halasana/plough. I used to think that it was an imagined issue (his wife Rima occasionally complains about her halasana and I thought he was responding with the usual empathy of a loving husband:) .. but when u see this execution of a marvellously high locust u know that yes, there might be a neck-muscle stiffness that comes from sheer strength. Sometimes a strong muscle can also be a very stiff muscle!! So here it is... then both strength and flexibility but a bit of a compromise in a certain pose... and now he is going to get through that too. And then, no stopping him:)
The fact that I can tell him to focus on the upper back muscles and chin and lift into the locust from there, and he can actually do that... U know he is in the yoga zone... that is a lucky student. And I, a lucky teacher, to have such a one....

5 comments:

Anila said...

awesome!Good going Jit! I think I should show this picture to all the men here in the US who seem to think Yoga is a 'woman' thing.Part of the blame goes to all the glossy yoga magazines that almost always have female models.

feltra (Raman R) said...

About 2 weeks or so back, I was watching the Guiness Records program (forgot the channel), where a guy did just this. I think from the angle, it appears that Jit's is much more vertical than what the Guiness guy (and he "won" the title!) did...

I am also quite amazed at the angle. In fact, I have not seen such a vertical angle even by accident in any book so far... Of course at my 51years of age I am not about to feel jealous of the guy :)

Thanks & Regards,
-feltra

YOGA IN EVERYTHING said...

Yes, this is very high. But quite a few of my students do a great execution of this .. mine is rather low I am afraid, but Sharmishta and Rima also do a high locust.. I think it is something to do with a bengali diet! Mustard oil? Sharmishta thinks it may be the fish! Rima has a degenerated spine (she thinks:) and may be even that!! ha ha! I myself think it is focus.. power to them!

Thin Air and Beyond said...

heheheheh... yeah must be the fishy diet. im quite amazed at the angle myself. had no clue that i go up that high in salabhasana. inshallah someday the devil that sits around my shoulder shall bless me with a good halasana :) ...

YOGA IN EVERYTHING said...

Now don't be dramatic Jit-- why`some day'... u almost touched the feet in halasana -- two inch off the ground, and in the morning, when the body is super stiff.. so i don't think some day, maybe next week!