Thursday, June 23, 2011

Daily health gyan

Since my `tiff' with my instructor, he has upped the ante, and is pushing me over the edge with training. So, now for the last two days (no, my students will never guess:) I have had the most powerful `cramp' along my resustitcated back muscles which are trying to regain some wisdom that they had lost long, long ago! Apart from my silly OTT behavior, muscle cramps can hit for other reasons. 
  • when you are dehydrated (fluid loss, which means u need to tank up with water at least half hour before a strenuous physical activity)
  • when u have magnesium/calcium deficiency  
  • Above is also linked to vitamin D deficiency (not enough sunlight). 
  • Vitamin B deficiency (can be caused when u take too much antibiotics)
  • liver problem
  • kidney problems.
  • Excessive use of diuretics (some high blood pressure medications can also cause this)
  • Medications that can cause cramps -- for menopause, blood pressure, diuretics, cholesterol lowering drugs, and for a lot of drugs used in nervous system disorders like Alzheimer's, Parkinson's etc. 
  • lactic acid build-up in legs with certain type of repeated activity can cramp the calf muscles painfully...

NOW FOR WHAT CAN PREVENT CRAMPS DURING ACTIVITY?
HYDRATION BEFORE ACTIVITY THAT IS GOING TO CAUSE U TO SWEAT EXCESSIVELY.
STRETCHES, STRETCHES, STRETCHES!!


Any case, a cramp is benign. Which means if u don't panic, it will pass. Except when you kick-ass the way I do, then u suffer it for longer:)!!

No comments: