Tuesday, September 27, 2011

In my class

Salomi from Ahmedabad came for a walk-in last week. She wowed everybody. She is an instructor and I am acquainted with her for years, since she used to regularly attend all my workshops at Help library when I just started out teaching.... She has a three-year-old baby, and in her thirties, but looks like a fit teen:) Her scorpion was jaw-dropping as was her supta vajrasana and the full diamond pose:) Next time, I told her, she should teach and I would be her student, in my class:)  I desperately need to do some yoga classes where I am practising instead of teaching. If Deepika Mehta's class timings did not clash with my own, I would surely be doing some walk-ins with her. That way so few genuine yoga classes in this city. Barring Deepika Mehta's I cannot name anybody else in the `real yoga' scene here... they are good with some poses and neglect others, including pranayama, unlike in the south where even your corner side yoga class, with aunties, has headstand and some exciting poses and they also focus on pranayama...

Coming to my knee... It is almost back to normal. Last week tentatively restarted surya namaskar and can do a few rounds slowly. Walked about in the heels(small things like that go for a toss when ur knee is down, taking the steps for instance, swiveling as I normally am wont to do all became just so tough!!), just to get the fear out the knee, for normal activity...
In healing, and if you really intend, you must be intimately aware of the difference between fear to do something and actual pain. Sometimes the former can come in the way, because the body's protective mechanism kicks in to stop you... But as I keep saying, I believe movement is healing, and yes, I believe that a lot of the healing in my knee has happened because I returned to yoga almost after a week, taking it in a phased manner... but maintaining hte intensity of practice but using modificiations or longer holds ... Plus I completely revamped my diet to add more of the healing foods rich in zinc, vitamin C, vitamin E and vitamin Bs.... I think the diet too makes a huge difference in healing and if you are focused and fearless and invite healing, it is a more positive way of being than lying back and squalling... or acting dependent...

My husband will be away from the classes which he religiously attends daily... but my daughter will be there, with her friend, so it is good to have an early morning full house... the rest of the batches, interestingly, always remain a lazy, indifferent bunch... I believe it has something to do with the choice of your time...as the day advances, other things compete for attention with yoga which is usually sacrfied...:) Karma, theirs, does not allow them yoga regularly... I have long stopped wondering at that!!



1 comment:

Salomi Shah Sheth said...

hey shameem thanks for the nice words. i want to come there again soon..... but u i must say are truly inspirational :-)