Free MySpace Animations!
I had written earlier, in India Abroad I think, how similar some of the yogic practices were to the Islamic cleansing rituals. The kapalarandhradhauti (face firming yogic massage/acupressure technique) is very similar to waazu, for instance. And the fasting during Ramzan, the two meal practice is similar to what yogis do, most days.
Here is what I learn about yogic rituals called kriyas, used as preparatory,cleansing acts to actual sadhana. Actually, of these I only do agnisara , jal neti and kapalabhati regularly. I used to do sutra neti, but my left eye becomes blood shot, showing up a stubbornly blocked left nostril, so I sometimes baulk at this practice.. But I plan to restart it now...
- Dhauti -- Throat cleaning with soft cloth -- Used to clear phelgm.
- Vasti --Cleans up internal organs.
- Trataka -- Creates Eka grata (one-pointedness) and dispassion (vairagya).
- Nauli -- stimulates nervous system, removing sadness. Makes skin glow.
- Kaplabhati -- Clears and controls energy channels