Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Yogic tip: How and where to practice

Also, from the Hatha Yoga Pradipika.. the following quote. Read the first line, my dear students, and see why I keep saying you should learn to practice in a compact place... It really makes me wonder when people  take up two mat spaces as if they need a lot of space for their limited practice...

The Yogi should practice Hatha Yoga in a small room, situated in a solitary place, being 4 cubits square, and free from stones, fire, water, disturbances of all kinds, and in a country where justice is properly administered, where good people live, and food can be obtained easily and plentifully.

2 comments:

thealooffellow said...

Hello Shameem,
I agree with everything excpt the 4 cubits... by google calculations, 4 cubits is 1.83 meters. I am 2 meters tall ( long) and longer when I stretch my arms out. I will have to make some adjustments!

YOGA IN EVERYTHING said...

The alooffellow (should have made it the long fella:) -- anycase, it is the idea behind the suggestion. It is not about exact measurement but being able to do it in a compact place with just enough space for movement and being unafraid to be in a cramped placc. I don't know where u are from, but it may be across the world, but yogis suddenly become nasty when they place their mat, and possessive about space. Something animalistic surfaces:) About how much space and my-space .. I think the verse addresses that sort of unwanted extroversion of the mind.