Apart from the effect on eye health and vision, these below are little known benefits of yogic trataka:
Harish Johari says this about trataka practice:
* It enhances the growth and development of the pineal gland
* One-pointedness of the mind
* Develops "witness consciousness" of the mind; the step back from itself.
Swami Satyananda, my very favorite guru, says this:
* It creates a higher sensitivity of pineal gland
* Greater impact on the hypothalamus which is involved with the sympathetic nervous system (aroused mental state) and parasympathetic nervous system (repairing mode of the nervous system);
* The individual's several states -- pleasure state, wakefulness/alertness/focus state, sleep and pain states.
* Blocks out hyper activity of the brain/restless or disturbing thoughts
* Sensitivity to higher vibrations.
These are the areas of the mind involved with psychic abilities and extra sensory perception, clairaudience and telepathy.