Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Wealth in your hands:Kubera mudra

I first read of the Kubera mudra in the Mudras: Yoga in your hands, by Gertrud Hirschi.  I was super excited and immediately started connecting to some mudras/hand gestures. In the yoga-crazed of a neo convert I started reading up on all mudras, bought up books, some repeating themselves, and then downloaded several from all over the internet.

Of course, with the maturity that comes from regular practice, now I have trimmed by enthusiasm somewhat and realise that I need to keep a few ones for regular practice, and dip into others, as I need them for healing. And also, as I started gaining some insight into them, I realised that not all can be practiced continuously. This was also the time when I started making the connection between yoga and ayurveda. Each mudra is also dosha-specific and those with specific doshas must not overdo those mudras that are surely going to aggravate their conditions.

Nowadays I see mudras, suddenly discovered by the asana-intense yoga community, being dished out like pretty spa gifts. And sigh!

Any case, this mudra is dope!
Kubera mudra, Hirschi, had said was a wish-fulfilling mudra. I have myself never practiced it, because I have inhibitions asking an higher power for material things.

But wealth is not always about material things, you realise. It also the freedom to explore, and the support that allows you to do that. It is also joy in simple things. It is so many other things, than real money.

So, today I could look at this mudra differently. It is done as shown in the image attached. Tips of middle and index  finger touching tip of the thumb. Other fingers pressed down. Done for each hand. And whenever you wish.


The middle and  index  finger stand for ether and air element respectively. In terms of impact, they stimulate the mind positively, keeping it upbeat. The earth and water elements, represented by the ring and and little finger, are depressed in this, and that means the practice controls lethargy and sensitivity.

So, on very "technical" terms, it uplifts the mind, makes it confident and focused and fearless, and controls lethargy and sensitivity. All ideal in the recipe for success and focus.

Its been over two decades since I started practicing yoga, but i have never actively practiced this, as I explained above. But now, I am a little bit more sensible, and perhaps its time to start practising it?

Let me know if your wishes came true.

Happy sadhana  

No comments: