Monday, February 21, 2011

Jumping back: how to fall in the scorpion


This `trick' was what I did, naturally since I fell so often when I tried to learn the scorpion, as usual, on my own.

The first time I did it, I was on my head, and an  assistant, now married to Natraj, told me to slip into it. She said I could do it. So I just trusted her and lifted my head up. My whole body wobbled as if with ague, due to the muscular demand of a scorpion. I could not believe I could do it. After that, it has always been falls, falls, falls and constantly trying to do it on my own. Using a wall, cracking my neck, and everything else in between... That has been good. I started on it almost when I was 40 ... so, u understand why I am so confident that this pose is not unachievable. Plus, those learnign from me have the advantage that I have made all the mistakes they are likely to make:)

Last time when at the ashram for assisting, Prahlada made all of us jump. And fall! Of course, for me, that was a cakewalk. However, it is one thing to fall from a scorpion and another to initiate a fall... but it is a good way to get over the fear...

Here the video shows how u may fall /jump into the scorpion.

The problem with the jump version is that u fall more than u hold the pose.. nine falls for one hold, initially.

The trick I realise is that if you jump up, immediately go into the pincha mayurasana, then drop the legs. This gives better control.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING ABOUT THE FALL:
Keep focus on hands and feet, keep back off ground... the main thing is not to fall on your back. As u can see if the feet-hands are engaged, then your back automatically lifts off the floor.

Happy sadhana!

No comments: