Monday, April 07, 2014

Lolasana: Pendant pose

I have cleared the deck for more organized yoga practice. The student strength, during summer for some reason,always dips. I think people plan travel and then shirk yoga, the classes here, so they don't have to pay for the full month. Fair enough.This has been a trend since I started teaching. Earlier, if you are a teacher, totally looking outwards to find a meaning to your life, this situation can be a bit daunting. Frankly, nowadays, whenever there is less attendance, I see the positive aspect of it, that the ones who are around are strong students, and they always buffet me and my practice. So, in a way, the more I teach, the more detached I am from the idea of teaching, and quite enjoy the slack when it happens and see it as a time to recuperate my soul:)

Otherwise, when you wake up in a morning and have to confront a tiresome or demanding or a "custormer" type of student, it can be as bad as going back to office and putting up with nagging workers and bosses!! What's the point when you are headed in the opposite direction of the rat race?!!!!

So, have dug up a few of the poses that have been planning to try. The pendant pose is a lovely, sweet one. Somewhat like the duck pose.

I saw it in the Yoga Bible, though I felt the instructions rather misleading there. I next tried my version, the one I remember from the Light on Yoga by Iyengar. And when I searched the net, it appears that the ankle crossed version is more common. So, here is the pendant, not perfect, not swinging, but still there, on first attempt!

What you need:

Unlike with other arm balancers, this one is tricky. You need to learn to isolate body parts and lift from each. Eg:  The left knee has to lift first, if the right leg is below. It makes the pose light. How well you turn your back in, and lift from the abdomen is another matter of strength.

It is a very exciting pose. I myself did not swing more than a few times in the first attempt. But I feel the swing is a matter of a practice and should fall in place. Very excited by the pose because it seems to demand sheer strength. It is something one can never stop working on, on the mat.

 

No comments: